EDM 310 Class Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blog Post #13

Amusing Ourselves to Death Bookcover

 In high school I actually read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business when I was a Junior for my English class. I am not going to lie that was a difficult book to read and I needed my teacher to explain to me most things, but that was three years ago and I am sure I would understand it more now. The reason of me telling you this is because after we read that book we also had to do a e-media fast which included the same guidelines as Dr. Strange has given us. I remember when I did it back then it was hard, but let me tell you this time around when I did it it was much harder. I believe this time around it was harder because I have been on the "drug of technology" for a longer period of time.
The night before I did the E-media fast I had to call my mom and boyfriend to let them know I could not talk to them for the whole day no matter what because I had to do this assignment for class. My mom and boyfriend both live in Birmingham, Alabama, so the only way I can communicate with them is on the phone or Skype and I could do neither during the e-media fast. Both of them were not fond of the idea because they were used to the fact that I was available to them through a text or a phone call. On the day of the fast I found it difficult, or for a better word excruciating, to leave my cell phone behind when I went to class. Also during the day I found out that without a computer I could no longer do most of my homework. That is when the light bulb in my head went off that really convinced me without a shadow of a doubt I need to learn more about technology if I am going to be a teacher because if already in a short day I need this much technology the students, that I will eventually have, will definitely need it. Also my mom just would not accept that she couldn't talk to me through out the day and know that I was okay so she would text my friends and ask how I was.
I cannot imagine how students will be when they enter my classroom after living a life full of media. It is true that times are changing and technology is taking over schools and if we choice to ignore that fact then we let down our students. If we teach with just a whiteboard, markers, and books then we will loose the attention of our students. Teachers cannot compete with technology so why not join it. We as teachers cannot expect our students to come into our classroom and be eager to learn if we are using old ways to teach. Students use technology all through out the day and they are comfortable with it so why make them leave it at the door when they enter the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shelby,
    I agree with you wholeheartedly about technology and educators. I thought about fasting, but I quickly realized that I was not willing to make the sacrifice. Kudos to you for going a whole day without technology! :) Great job on your post. Only two and a half more weeks!

    ReplyDelete