EDM 310 Class Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Blog Post #12

Games in Education
In this blog post we are suppose to create an assignment for a Blog Post that we believe Dr. Strange would have assigned and then complete the assignment ourselves. When thinking about what I was going to do for this blog post I decided that we talk an awful lot about technology in EDM310, but we never talk about the technology that students love the most, video games. I looked on YouTube and found a video, Video Games Are New Teaching Tool, that talks about a school that does use video games to help the students learn. In my blog post I would assign students to watch this video, and then they would have to write a brief essay  explaining why or why not they think video games should be used in the classroom and whether or not they think it is benefiting the students or hindering them? Also they would write why they believe schools are so hesitant to accept video games as part of the learning experience.



This is my brief essay writing about the topic above:

Before watching this video I did not believe video games had a place in the classroom because that would teach students that all learning is that easy.  I also believed that it would  hurt the teachers because they would have to compete to hold a students attention against a video game. This video made me understand that it does not have to hurt the teachers because the teachers can use it to keep the students interested. Video games belong in the classroom because with the traditional way of teaching no longer holds the attention of students. The schools can choose to adapt to how future students learn or can continue to watch students lose focus because they are simply not interested in the old teaching methods.
I believe that video games are not hindering students but benefiting them because it is giving them skills of the computer and is keeping the students interested in school. With the teaching style of writing on a white board and reading notes out of a text book the students will fall asleep; I am telling you this out of experience. I have been in boring classes and I have been in exciting classes and the ones that I remember the most material out of is the exciting ones.
Why I believe that schools are so hesitant to use the technology of video games is the same reason schools are scared to use technology in schools period; they either do not know about technology, do not know how to incorporate it in their classes, or do not have the proper funding to get the technology needed. All three of these reasons are not good ones and all have answers to them. If you do not know about technology then there are conferences you can go or you can look on the internet. If you do not know how to incorporate technology into your classroom then look up ideas on the internet or just look at my blog. Finally if you do not have the proper funding then you could  do many things to raise money for your school to get the proper things you need to incorporate technology. 

2 comments:

  1. Great job Shelby! I like your assignment because this topic is something we can all relate to. They do have a lot of educational games and I think students would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shelby, I never thought of video games in the classroom until reading your blog. We never hear of it happening except for the one video we watched where they had Nitendo DS and I thought that was strange. I could see myself using one to keep my students attention sometimes.

    ReplyDelete