EDM 310 Class Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Blog Post #6

For the love of technology

1.When watching Wendy Drexler's video, The Networked Student, I realized how unprepared I am to teach a student of the 21st century. Before EDM310 I considered myself technology literate, but now I see I thought that I was because I was staying inside my own box; not caring what was outside of it. Watching this video made me realize that in the future in order to get a teaching job you are going to have to know how to use technology to give your students a upper hand.
I like the idea of Connectivism, that believes learning occurs as part of a social network with many diverse connections and ties. Just because I like this idea does not mean that it does not scare me. I have a lot to learn in order to be the teacher this video talks about. The kind of teacher that empowers the students to take control of their learning and connect with others that will strengthen the learning process. I realize I will have to do more then just take EDM310 in order to be that kind of teacher, but I believe the students deserve it.
The reasons the video provided that the students even needed a teachers is because they will need someone to teach them how to take advantage of the opportunities, how to build networks, offers guidance when the student gets stuck, how to communicate properly, how to ask for help respectively from experts, teach them how to know the difference between bad and good information, and to help organize the mountain of information they receive. In order to do these things I have to know the appropriate knowledge to educated the students about technology, but I also have to learn from the students.

2. The video A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment (or PLN) it talked about how their personal learning environment allowed them to have more freedom and they do not choose to not do something, but they choose how and when to do it. The students want to do it right because they know the teachers are giving them a big responsibly. Her PLE compared to my PLN is similar although we do not have to write about a animals in order to hold one,but we are both blogging and doing research for a purpose. We also both are learning how to use technology to harvest information and use it toward our benefit.

1 comment:

  1. " a upper" should be an upper

    Yes, we all learn from each other. That is what we mean by a "learning community." Thoughtful. Encouraging. Keep at it! the world has changed.

    "... a big responsibly." responsibility

    Don't get caught up in the method of organizing your PLN. It should contain lots of PEOPLE.

    ReplyDelete