EDM 310 Class Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Blog Post #3

Social Media










1. In Kelly Hines' post It's Not About the Technology she talks about the need for teachers to be learners and I completely agree with that fact. I actually think that most teachers believe in that idea, but most do not put in the effort to learn new things. My teachers in high school taught me the same thing they had been teaching since they became a teacher. The world is evolving and at the same time teachers sound be evolving with it and learning the new technology. I also believe in what Kelly Hines said about teachers complaining that a student does not get the subject matter they have been teaching they blame the student. All students learn in different ways and if one way does not work then we should try another way and then another way until we get through to them and they learn the subject matter. Do not blame the students for not learning blame yourself, like Kelly Hines said you are not teaching if the students are not learning.
 The point that Kelly Hines made about technology is useless without good teaching could not be more true. The reason schools are not putting in more technology in some schools is because they do not think it will do much use. The teachers will use the technology if they learn how to do it themselves. It is really intimidating when you get something that you have no idea how to work and did not come with any instructions. The schools need to give teachers instructions on how to use the new technology and then the teachers will be able to incorporate new fun 21st century things and use the technology the schools has given them. 

2. In Karl Fisch post, Is it Okay to be a Technology Illiterate Teacher?, he discusses the problem of having technology illiterate teachers. He has gone back and forth on whether he should push teachers to be technology literate or not because he knows teachers have a lot on their plate. He ended up deciding to push teachers to be technology literate because this subject can not be pushed off to the side. Students deserve to get the schooling they need. If he waited there would be students lost and graduated without having the vital knowledge about technology that teachers need to teach them. 
Like what Mr. Fisch said maybe it was okay to not teach technology in the 20th century because people could get a job without being technology literate, but times have changed and in the 21st century if you are not  some what technology literate then you will find it extremely hard to find a job. I completely agree with this post and believe that students deserve the knowledge to help them get ahead any way they possibly can and with technology literate teachers it will definitely give their students a upper hand.
3. What I think about Gary Hayes Social Media Count is it is outstanding how much people use technology and go to technology for entertainment, to look stuff up, and many more things. People every day use social media more then you could even imagine, such as Tweeter has 1 billion tweets per week. I can not even think about a number that high and fathom it. It seems everyone in this day and age have to have some form of social media they are connected with. Even older generations are joining in on social media, such as my grandmother who now has a Facebook. If you do not have some form of social media it seems you are left in the dust. 
What these changes mean for my profession as a teacher is you cannot be left behind by not conforming with social media and technology all together. Students this century are interested in things such as Facebook, YouTube, and Tweeter if you use this to your advantage you will have your students full attention. This also means for my profession as a teacher that I must keep up even though I feel as if I know all there is to know about social media things will change as a new generation comes. I have to conform with it and learn what the new social media is of that time.
4. The movie A Vision of Students Today is a interesting video about how students view the classroom and how education is. This video had facts such as how the career some of the students are sitting in the classroom to get may not even be there when they get of school with their degree. Also the video had some crazy facts about how some students computers cost more then some people get payed in a month. That is the reason that students go to get a good education, is to not have a low paying job, but are they really succeeded by sitting in a class learning things that are written on a chalkboard. 
How I would look at this video if I were a professor is look at the facts that were given in the video and act on them. Make a movement to change those statistics positively. As a president I would watch this video and think how long can universities fool people into not getting their moneys worth of their education. I would want to educate the professors on technology and other ways to teach students besides lecturing and writing on a chalkboard. In order for kids to pay attention they need more then a boring lecture. 
   

2 comments:

  1. Hello Shelby!

    You articulated yourself very well in your responses, and you included the links to the sources. Good.

    I don't know if I should admit this or not, but you made me laugh when you said "Tweeter." Haha! I like Tweeter. I Twit all the time. I also follow some really funny people on there. You should follow @Lord_Voldemort7 and @DeathStarPR. They're hilarious.

    Anyway, back to your post. Other than a few grammar errors or verb tense problems, I thought your post was well-written and well-reasoned.

    You made a good point when you said, " It is really intimidating when you get something that you have no idea how to work and did not come with any instructions." I was thrown right into InDesign when I became Life Editor for The Vanguard, and I had NO idea what I was doing. It took me a good two weeks before I was able to do my section without asking someone how to do something. I guess in a way, your response is pretty typical of this class as a whole. You come into EDM310 with little to no ideas about what it's going to be like, and then you're hit with the shock on the first day of ALL THIS STUFF. It really freaks people out. But, I think that by this point in the class, y'all should be getting a pretty good handle on what's expected of y'all.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is one other reason schools have not put more technology in and its because of funding. Some schools can not afford to put in new computers. I did like your input on the Social Media. It amazes me on how much we use social networking. I also believe we as future teachers need to keep up with social networking to help reach out to our students.

    ReplyDelete