EDM 310 Class Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Blog Post #1

My name is Shelby Owen and my home town is Trussville, Alabama. I have lived in Trussville for my whole life; it is a small town most say, but I think it is much larger in fact it is my whole word. I have many interest but that one I base most of my life on is soccer. I have played basically every sport you can think: gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, and softball. I believe playing all those sports led me to the sport I truly adore, soccer. The reason I say that I base my life off of soccer is because I am here at The University of South Alabama  because of soccer. As I am sure you have guessed I play soccer for South Alabama and it wasn't the whole reason I chose South Alabama, but it was definitely the main reason. I also came here though because I did not want a big college, but I did want one large enough that I felt like I wasn't in High School anymore.

I have a very loving family that all love me very much, and I realize how lucky I am to be so blessed. I have one brother and one sister. My brother's name is Drew and my sister is Anna Grace. Drew is twenty-two and goes to college at The University of Montevallo. He was also going to be an elementary teacher, but he changed his major to business. My little sister just turned five and started Kindergarten. Most ask if my little sister was a surprise but in fact she was planned. My mom is a very loving person and loves to take care of other people and with me leaving for college she didn't want the house to be "empty" so to speak. I did not want a little sister at first because I did not like the idea of being the middle child, but I soon figured out things would not change. In fact, having a little sister led me to wanting to be an elementary teacher. I love little kids and why would I not want to spend my time with happy children all day. I look forward to the rest of my college time and eventually my teaching career.

What I learned watching Randy Pausch is plans might not go perfectly but if they do not it is not the end of the world, and it is okay to change a plan. Also I learned that if you have a lot to do in your plan for the day you should always do the hardest or "ugliest" thing first. Randy Pausch also said that you should not only have a plan for the day, but it is okay to go ahead and plan for the week, month, or semester. Things might change during that time period but at least you have a guide line. The first time I heard of Randy Pausch was last year in public speaking class. In that class we watched the video of Randy Pausch's Last Lecture. In that video he talked about his childhood dreams and how he achieved them.  

2 comments:

  1. We will watch The Last Lecture again this term. So you and Jacey-Blair are soccer players. The EDM310 team is planning a group visit to watch you play next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby, this is too weird. I want to know if they put us together on purpose! I have 3 siblings: an 18 year old sister named Karsyn, a 6 year old little brother Cason, and a little sister Kortlyn who is 2! My litter sister Kortlyn was a surprise but a total blessing. And also like you, my little siblings guided me to the teaching field. My major is also Elementary Education. That's awesome that you have played so may sports. I played softball for a couple years and wish I would have continued with it in high school but I chose cheerleading instead. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete